Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Kayak Crabbing

After spending the last several months crammed up inside with school research, reports, projects, etc. I have been dying to get back in the seat of the kayak and get on the water. The closest I have been able to get to fishing last month was taking my new bait-caster in the backyard and slinging a few casts in between study breaks.

I've heard many reports that the crabs are starting to come in and have been dying to bring some home. My family doesn't eat fish, but they love picking crabs. I think this is one of the reasons I am so attracted to crabbing because I can sit around the dinner table that night with my family and enjoy the days catch with everyone. When it comes to fish... I'm on my own.

 THE HUNT

I started out first thing in the morning.. I have found this is when crabbing is the best. I was on the water at 5:30am paddling down my favorite creek at dark and watching the sun rise slowly as I began to reach my honey hole. The creek is a winding salt marsh not far from my house and I have cleaned up pretty well here last season. I left with a little bit of optimism that I might bring home half a dozen crabs since it was still really early in the season but was surprised with my catch.



Using a combination of my modified hand-lines and some box traps, I planned my attack. I took a water temperature reading of 63ยบ and set all my lines in 6-10' of water along the slope of the marsh.

THE CATCH 

There were a TON of small crabs in the creek but I did manage to find about two dozen keepers. The biggest crab measured 6.5" and I probably threw back 30-40 undersized crabs. The crabs are definitely here and should start to pick up a lot more as the water continues to warm. This year crabs are supposed to be at a 20 year high for the Bay so I am looking forward to it!


THE DINNER

With around two dozen crabs and a 1.5 pounds of shrimp... it was an awesome dinner.  All of the crabs were full and some were very sweet. Nothing like a little bit of vinegar and Old Bay seasoning on fresh crabs!


VIDEO REPORT



3 comments:

  1. It doesn't get much better than sitting down with the family and picking crabs. I don't know very many people that clean them before cooking, but thats the way to go- clean picking! Thanks for the report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, Brian. Nice post.

    That last pic makes me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete